Screwtape MCMXCII and Screwtape Y1.993K (1992 - 1993)
The three-piece art/prog/punk outfit was formed out of the trajectory of a broken up Overman, with the addition of Colin Bradford on vocals and guitar in early 1992. Overmen Jeff Till and Craig Verity took a tip from the overarching Kalamazoo trend of technical, unusual, cybernetic punk wave that was happening at the time, and arguably took it further with their spastic/theatric music that consisted of partsy, quick-changes, lots of vocals, and off-beat themes such as crime, sci fi, and comedy.
Screwtape (always followed by the year, first written as roman numerals, then in a freakish coincidence, in a 'Y2K' format no one could have forsaw) played a couple dozen shows, mostly in Kalamazoo. Screwtape started locally with the benefit of the buzz Overman left behind, and enjoyed consistently decent crowds and enthusiast right from the start. Screwtape also had the priviledge of playing the big festivally shows at the State Theatre. Screwtape recorded their 9-song CD (Anthemunanthem or Don't Jar the Mechanism) at Fast Tracks with TI-guy Brent Oberlin looking over, and released the CD on Kevin Oberlin's Depression Records. The first pressing of the CD is sold out, with probably 1/2 actually purchased by listeners. The release happened almost simultaneously with the new Twitch Homewrecker CD. Both discs were released with similar packaging and were often co-marketed.
Screwtape broke up in the early summer of 1993, where Jeff decided to move to Boston, Colin to Chicago, and Craig eventually to the West Coast.
- Jef Till, Bass and vocals
- Craig Verity, Drums, vocals
- Colin Bradford, Guitar and vocals
- Jeff and Craig were previously in Common Ground (one show), Cry (1990), and Overman (1991-1992)
- Colin also played in Genius Hired Guns. He later went on to play in the Shills (1995?), Doxie (1994?), and Chicago-based Astrid Flood and Undercast
- Jeff went to TASM Lab (1993 - present), and Hudson Debacle (2000-2003)
- Craig joined Miles Before (2007)
SCREWTAPE Y1.993K: ANTHEMUNANTHEM
- Three Red Bicycles
- (Herman Keypad's) Disadvantage or The Rape of Baby Jessica
- Number 28
- Law of the Land
- (Herman Keypad's)Dissadvantage (Reprise) or Margarettes Love After Death
- Underneath (Anthemunanthem)
Comments from the world
Post a comment...
Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/samlab64/public_html/leonstemple.com/footer.html on line 16
I cannot connect to the database because: Access denied for user 'leonstem_leonuse'@'localhost' (using password: YES)